Sunday, February 1, 2009

I can be crafty (sometimes)!!!!!!















I wish I was more like my Grandma or friend Amy, but sometimes I get lucky with my ideas :) I made Ava's name out of carboard block letters from Michaels. Ava actually picked out the "Amy Butler" scrapbook paper! I cut out pieces of each paper and kind of made them fit like a puzzle using Mod Podge (when I asked the Michaels associate where the "Hodge Podge" was, she kindly corrected me! LOL) After 3-4 coats and letting it dry, I put a different small embellishment on each letter to give it a little pop or dimension. It's hard to see due to the glare, but the 'V' has rick rack with rhinestones across it. Then I hot-glued the ribbon on the back and bought vinatge crystal drawer pulls to hang them on and.................... PRESTO!

The bedspread I made about 5 years ago, but am JUST NOW letting her use it! It's a patchwork quilt made out of ALL her baby clothes and crib bedding! From the tiny hat they put on her after birth, to her first holiday outfits, bibs, etc. With the help of my friend, Renae, we made different size square templates out of cardboard and proceeded to cut up all of her baby clothes! I borrowed a sewing machine, learned how to sew a straight line and randomly sewed squares together to form long rows. After sewing the long rows together, I took it to a quilt shop and had them quilt the top to a plain (hot pink) queen sized sheet for the back! Then they binded it with a cute fabric I picked out for the edges! I LOVE IT and so does she! I felt a little guilty about cutting up perfectly good baby clothes, but I couldn't part with them and I knew I wasn't going to open up bins every few years to look at them, so now we get to see them every day! I didn't do the same for Ethan, but did keep a few of my VERY favorites!
The pics on Ava's wall are a few of my Mom's AWESOME flower photographs! I don't really love the white frames on the white wall, so I may paint the frames pink to match the pink accent wall in her room!
In our room, we don't have a headboard, so I bought this grille to act as one (kinda) I like the look though!

The small green table by the front door was my vision, but not my work. I had it made! hee hee

In Ethan's room we just painted an accent wall in blue! We painted the whole house when we moved in, but by the time we got to the bedrooms, we were OVER IT so we just did accent walls :)






























10 comments:

Alison Woods said...

You are SO crafty! Good job, it all looks great!

Wendi said...

I absolutely LOVE that quilt!! What an awesome way to keep hold of those memories. It's definately something she will cherish forever!!

shelly said...

I always knew you were crafty. Remember our little snowmen ornaments(which were a duplicate from the year before)haaaaa. Anyway everything looks great. You take after your mom with decorating, your house looks great as well as hers. Luv ya!

kelly manz said...

she's crafty...she's crafty!! wish i was! thats ok - you can just do all the work for me :) i LOVE the letters! good job! i cant wait to send you all of chloe's clothes so she can have her own quilt too!!! love the green table - didnt know you had it made? why you holding out beyatch?

Jill said...

So, do I start calling you Martha now? Just kidding! But everything looks great. What a fantastic idea about the quilt!

~Erin said...

Coming from a decorating pro ;)....looks fab!

Carla Anne said...

SO cute! I totally love the green table. You're awesome...Hodge Podge and all.;-)

amylouwhosews said...

I love the green table too. I want my dining table to look like that. When we move down there will you help me paint?

Toni Ludlow said...

Sure wish you didnt cut up all those baby clothes, couldve used them right about now :) I love the quilt!! I saw the cutest paper a while back and wanted to make Ava something but I figured you had something cute already made, Molly :)

Nat said...

LOve the letters and the Quilt is To Die For! I have always wanted to make one, but I can not sew.