Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Moving Day..............Goodbye Camp LeJeune!

After 3 years of being stationed at Camp LeJeune, NC (Jacksonville), it's time to move. :(

The kids and I have only been here for 2 out of the 3 years, but it seems like many more. We REALLY loved our time in Camp Lejeune. We loved our house, the schools, the youth sports programs, but most of all the FRIENDS we've all made!

The moving experience was a not-so-pleasant one, to say the least. Stress levels were HIGH as we decided to do a DITY (do it yourself) move. We have ALWAYS done a DITY as opposed to having the Marines move us, aka TMO. Why you ask??? Well, because I'm a bit anal and like to pack my own boxes. I don't want to search for the remote for DAYS only to find it's been packed with the bathroom crap! Or better yet, find a plunger with my dishes, cleaning supplies with my "unmentionables", kids toys mixed with yard tools, etc............UGH! I also like to know my things are WELL packed and taken care of and covered in the truck! I'm also nervous about things being broken or stolen (yes, it happens). The other good thing about a DITY is MAKING money! Our thinking was we need a new TV, a new recliner (gag, I know!!!) as well as a few other things and a couple G's would sure help that want list out! The BAD thing about a DITY is your friends become enlisted help and that's never fun for them!


So, the real fun began a couple days before the move when Jason backed into my friend Michele's car in the driveway (after telling her she did NOT need to move it cause he could get around it...........uh huh!) Then the morning Jason went to pick up the Budget truck and car trailer, THAT WE RESERVED A MONTH PRIOR BECAUSE I AM ANAL, both weren't there! The trailer was non-existent and the truck was smaller! The first one didn't even have a working ramp! It was a nightmare! Jason finally brought home the smaller truck which we quickly filled! We then had to scramble and rent another truck (from Uhaul this time, NOT Budget)! Everyone was sooooo nice to stay and help pack both trucks allllll day! SPECIAL thanks goes out to DEAR friends like Steve Moylan, The Miles Fam, The Williams Fam, Amy Nicodemus, and a few church members too! Without them we would still be there and I'd be crying and rocking in a corner! THANK YOU ALL SOOOOOO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP AND HARD WORK! We appreciate and love you TONS! The bad thing about now having TWO rental trucks and two cars is WHO is gonna drive them all to Parris Island? UGH! So, we ended up leaving the small Uhaul with Jason's truck on the trailer at The Miles' house while I drove my SUV and J drove the Budget turd 6 hours down to PI. Upon arrival we immediately put J on a plane in Savannah back to LeJeune where he then drove the Uhaul and towed his truck another 6 hours back again! Because of this debacle we arrived too late at PI to weigh the trucks Fri. night. You would think we could get the trucks weighed Sat a.m. BEFORE the new Ward members arrived to help us unpack the trucks, but NOOOOO...............the scales are CLOSED on weekends! UGH! So, we cancelled the Ward help and postponed it for Mon. night after work! We stayed in our new house over the weekend on airbeds and since we couldn't unpack anything............ we EXPLORED the town! I have to admit as stressed as I was to prolong the move-in process, it was fun to just hang out without any real responsibility for the weekend. On Mon. we got everything weighed, the ward members came after work and we got everything unloaded! On Tues. we weighed the empty trucks and finally got them returned. It took a good two weeks to unpack, organize and decorate the new house.............post to follow! :)

All of our crap that didn't fit in the first truck sitting in the lawn! So while J went to get the Uhaul, Renee relaxed in the recliner while Greg waited his turn!
Renee again - helping to bring a little "red sticker" to the "blue sticker" hood!
Greg FINALLY got his turn and fell asleep!!!

Me, Jilly Bean and my MUCH older sis, Renee ;)
We tried to pack up all these kids and ship them somewhere!
Ethan, Sean, Mike, Grace, Zach, Ava, Garrett and Hunter

Kate, Amy, Me, Renee and Jill (bunny ears courtesy of Zach!)
Ethan and Zach exchanging BFF gifts!
Grace and Ava exchanging BFF gifts!
BESTIES!!!!!!!!

We really had a blast in LeJeune and miss all of our amazing friends! We hope that 6 hours isn't too far to visit and keep in touch! Thanks to blogging and facebook, keeping in touch is made easier! We'll be back in about 5 years though and NO MORE DITY's!!!!

Miss you and love you all! :)

3 comments:

Alison Woods said...

Oh wow! What a lot of work! Glad you made it there! I would've helped you I was there! Good luck in your new place. I have no doubt you'll have new friends knocking down your door in a matter of minutes.

Jill said...

Awwww, this made me sad and made me cry all over again! Ugh!!!!! I loved reading about all the drama though because I could literally hear you telling me all about it which made me laugh. So, I'm laughing and crying! Love you G!

Renee said...

WHAT??? So you're saying,had we not helped load the remaing stuff/truck, you'd still be here? WTH were we thinking? LOL
The hardest part for this MilesClan is yet to come. Being a few hours up the road is managable, being 3000 miles away, not so much. This next goodbye is gonna be painful.